Thursday, January 17, 2008

So, Why No Support for "Future Tom"?

You may have noticed, or even voted, in the current poll on who will be the first to take down the Pocomoke Christmas Tree. And it's currently a dead-heat with one notable exception: no one has voted for me.

Now, I'm assuming this is our readers' recognition for my love of Christmas and indoor pine trees.

I mean, what gives?! I did, in fact, purchase the tree and, with James and a Mexican gentleman, strap it to the top of my car in the rain!!

Ahem... moving along.

Let's take a closer look at the odds for our final 3 contenders:

Future Matt: Matt is a responsible and thoughtful citizen and roommate. Emphasis on the thoughtful, however. Matt's unhealthy levels of Guilt Disorder (GGD) would prevent him from taking the initiative until all other roommates had agreed that it was time for the tree to come down. Plus, he has a laundry list of chores to deal with in his basement suite before turning his attention to the living room. Odds: 1/20.

Future James: Although James has a much more normal level of GGD, he loves Christmas more than anyone else I know. If it were up to him, the tree would stay up year round. However, James' greatest fear is death by a tree falling on him - which haunts him nightly. Can he reconcile his love of Christmas with his fear of trees? Further, his first priority is brewing and his roommates encourage him in this endeavor so as to have bountiful supplies of homebrews. Odds: 1/4

Future Richard: Richard is the odds-on favorite for this event. He has to look a the tree every morning leaving his room, and it reminds him of a joy that only comes once a year. A joy that he will not know again until December 25, 2008. Also, the tree has taken the place of a beloved rubber tree plant (I know, it's actually called something else, but I don't know how to spell it). The aching reminder of happier times and love of live plants makes him a leading contender. However, his desire to teach his roommates a lesson about personal responsibility complicates matters. Can he reconcile these two desires? Odds: 1/2

2 Comments:

Lydia said...

compelling case, Tom, but I'm not changing my vote

Bex said...

I'd like to point out that Tom did not even vote for himself...