Friday, November 16, 2007

Know Your Pocomoke: Answers Revealed

I know I promised you loads of original content this week, and we're already falling slightly behind. But don't worry - we're working on some new features to enhance your Hock experience.

Onto the correct responses:

1. The hallway light outside the front door of Pocomoke is green. This is a remnant of last Christmas, when we tried to amp up the holiday spirit by putting red and green bulbs in the hallway light fixture. Well, it turns out that when you put red and green bulbs next to each other they combine to give off a pale, sickly, and very un-Christmassy color. So we just went with the green bulb, which gives the effect of Christmas...on a UFO. The other option was to just put in the red bulb, which we reckoned would give the wrong idea about what exactly goes on at Pocomoke. But how awesome would it have been if we had chosen the red bulbs and people nicknamed our house "The Red Light District"? That would have been so cool.

2. Not surprisingly, no one knows exactly what species the plants in our living room are. All we've heard are vague claims that the plants are "from Brazil." They continue to thrive despite the consistent neglect we've shown them. And they're already looking for ways to escape into the world at large: next time you come to Pocomoke, remind me to show you the grooves on the floor from where they've sent roots out from they're flowerpots. I'm dead serious. Did you ever read that children's book series The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks? I'm convinced that's the kind of mutant flora we're dealing with. Someone should alert the authorities.

3. Given the fact that so far in this post I've already referenced a) falling behind on a commitment I made; b) leaving up Christmas decorations for a year; and c) neglecting houseplants, I'm guessing that no, we're probably not ready for dog ownership.

1 Comment:

Namita said...

Ooh, I also have to say that I'm excited for the inclusion of open-ended, essay/opinion type questions in the Know Your Pocomoke, i.e. the dog question. I look forward to more of those in the near future, and hopefully I see the hock in time to pen a worthy response.